Are you interested in sharing your research expertise with the library community? Or an opportunity to boost your professional development by doing some training? Become an Ohio Web Library Specialist! OPLIN's Ohio Web Library Specialists help libraries by providing professional in-person training in effective use of Ohio Web Library resources.
What is an Ohio Web Library Specialist?
Ohio Web Library Specialists train library staff to use Ohio Web Library resources effectively so that patrons can get the most from the statewide databases. Ohio Web Library Specialists serve as an expert in their region on these tools.
The Ohio Web Library Specialist will endeavor to work with local libraries to provide the type of trainings that staff need. Staff training can include stand-alone sessions, webinars, part of a staff in-service day or regularly scheduled staff meeting. These training sessions will deepen understanding of Ohio Web Library resources in a practical, hands-on way.
How can I become an Ohio Web Library Specialist?
OPLIN is currently training the inaugural class of Ohio Web Library Specialists. Our next round of applications will be in Spring 2018.
What’s expected of an Ohio Web Library Specialist?
Each Ohio Web Library Specialist is expected to attend a one hour training and idea sharing on the subject(s) of his/her selected database. In addition, Ohio Web Library Specialists are expected to provide one training to library staff annually. This can be a stand-alone session, a webinar, or part of a staff in-service day. Ohio Web Library Specialists should report training dates and numbers of participants to OPLIN. In addition, the specialist must provide their own copies of handouts.
Trainers are solely responsible to determine the day, time and provision of a facility for their trainings. OPLIN will reimburse mileage for trainers, but will not pay for a trainer stipend, computer lab, or other expense or liability, which may be incurred through offering this instruction.
How does becoming an Ohio Web Library Specialist benefit me and my library?
Benefits to the Ohio Web Library Specialist:
- Certified as an authorized Ohio Web Library Specialist, a role that can be used to demonstrate professional learning growth.
- Learn about Ohio Web Library tools and resources updates first.
- Be connected to the online learning community of trainers to share ideas and training resources.
Benefits to the Library:
- Local trainer for professional development training on the Ohio Web Library.
- Ease of scheduling with a local trainer for professional development.
- Knowledge growth through sharing in the online learning community for Ohio Web Library Specialists.
Who can apply?
Anyone currently employed at an Ohio public library can apply to be an Ohio Web Library Specialist. Here are some of the qualities we’re looking for:
- Ability to encourage the use of Ohio Web Library resources by staff and patrons in a thoughtful manner.
- Willingness to learn and try new technologies.
- Interest in helping other library staff members learn new technologies.
- Experience or interest in presenting classroom-style training.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Permission of direct supervisor.
What kind of training do Ohio Web Library Specialists receive?
Selected applicants will participate in an online webinar. The webinar will cover best practices and resources for training. Ohio Web Library Specialists will be re-certified each year through a training webinar.